A classic holiday drink in Scandinavia! We usually buy ours from Ikea but they didn’t have it this year, so we decided to make our own. And I’m so glad we did. Very easy and we have enough for the whole holiday season!
- 10 cinnamon sticks
- 5 teaspoons of cardamom pods
- Grated zest of 3 oranges
- 30 whole cloves
- 3 cups of vodka
- 5 bottles of red wine
- 5 cups of port
- 4 cups of sugar
- 4 tablespoons of vanilla
- Almonds and raisins for serving
1. Crush the cinnamon sticks with a rolling pin by placing a towel over them.
2. Do the same with the cardamom pods.
3. Peel and slice the ginger. Use however much you prefer.
4. Grate the oranges.
5. Combine the cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, orange zest, and whole cloves with the vodka. Cover and let it sit for 24 hours.
6. After it has marinated for 24 hours, strain the vodka through a fine sieve, discarding the spices. Add the port, red wine, sugar and vanilla into a large sauce pan.
7. Heat over medium heat just until bubbles start to form around the edge of the pot. Serve with blanched almonds, raisins, and gingerbread cookies.
8. And here it is!