This was a major hit with my husband! The curry adds a bit of spice to the dish while the apples and rice makes it a bit more kid friendly. A hit for all ages! I use ground turkey in this recipe but you can also use ground beef or pork, totally up to you. And just a side note, meatballs in Danish are called Frikadeller!
Ingredients for Meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 1-2 tablespoons of curry powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
Ingredients for Sauce
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of curry powder
- 2 tablespoons of plain flour
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 2 peeled and sliced carrots
- 1 cored and sliced apple
1. Combine the turkey and garlic. Add the milk, flour, curry powder, salt and pepper. Mix it all together. Add the eggs and mix until the mixture is as light and fluffy as possible.
2. Boil water in a big pot and add some salt. Meanwhile, shape the ground turkey mixture into small balls and drop into the boiling water. Let them simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Remove the meatballs with a skimmer and place on a tray. Reserve about 4 cups of the broth.
4. In a pot, melt the butter and add onions, garlic, and curry powder. Cook for a few minutes. Add flour and stir well. Add 1 cup of the broth and stir until smooth. Pour in the rest of the broth and bring to a simmer.
5. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat a bit and add the carrots and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the meatballs and cook for a few minutes. The add the apple slices and cook for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. And here it is!